RoboKath is the Robotics Research and Development student body of Kathford that indulges and engages students into robotics research, design and development. RoboKath was established in 2008 by the Electronics Engineering students of Kathford, and was pioneered by Mr. Sunoj Das Shrestha of 2006-2010 batch.
Activities of RoboKath
The students at Kathford are introduced to RoboKath during their first year in RoboKath Orientation Program and are provided with 2 days basic electronics and robotics introduction training in their first semester. Later they are trained on Arduino Microcontroller in a workshop. These are the mandatory orientation activities for first semester students at Kathford. After these sessions, the students are trained to develop a Line Tracking Robot.
RoboKath team follows ‘Spread Your Knowledge’ model and the students train other students in the field of robotics after rigorous research and learning. Normally, the seniors train the juniors with the faculty members in continuous support and facilitation.
Training and Workshops
Beside the orientation and initial learning sessions, following training and workshops are conducted around the year by RoboKath in the premises of Kathford International College for perennial development of students in the field of Robotics.
- Electronic Circuit Design Training
- Line Tracking Robot Workshop
- IOT Training
- Raspberry Pi Training
- Image Processing
- Machine Learning Workshop
- Advanced Robotics Workshop
- Khudkila Workshop (7 day Android Gaming workshop)
- A number of Knowledge Sharing Sessions
Besides RoboKath team has also conducted trainings in other colleges and universities. Notably, the robotics research and development body of Kathford has conducted AVR Microcontroller training at Pokhara University in 2013, and at Kantipur Valley College in 2015.
RoboKath also conducted girls focused UAV Drone training – “Girls Can Fly” in association with Nepal Television Authority (NTA). Participated by many colleges, in that training, the girls from Kathford were selected for the final presentation to the authorities of NTA.
Competitions and Participations
RoboKath team has participated and won in a number of national robotics competition. Here is the list of competitions where RoboKath team has participated and/or won.
- Automatic Akhada, Techbihani 3.0, 2016. Won Automatic Akhada (automatic robot wrestling competition).
- NASA Space Apps Challenge, 2016. Demonstrated Digital Hydroponics System. Participated.
- Thought For Food, 2016. Demonstrated Digital Hydroponics System. Participated.
- Kathmandu Mini Maker Faire, 2016. Demonstrated Digital Hydroponics System. Won Mentorship and Sponsorship.
- Manual Akhada, Yantra 4.0, 2015. Won 3rd Prize in Manual Akhada (manual robot wrestling competition).
- Yantra 1.0, Yantra 2.0, Yantra 3.0, Yantra 4.0, and Yantra 5.0. Participated.
- Military Science and Technology Competition, 2014. Demonstrated RC Mini Tank. Was selected for Top 10 Idea.
- NCIT Robotics Competition, 2014. Won Best Smooth Robot.
- ROBOCON Competition 2010. Won 2nd Prize.
- Digital Hydroponics System
Digital hydroponic system is the revolutionary research being conducted by Kathford students where the study on growing plants in mineralized water (instead of soil) is being conducted. The digital hydroponic system does not only grow plants in mineralized water but also controls, operates and records nutrients intake by plants. Dileep Thakur and Santosh Adhikari, researchers and developers of digital hydroponics system are proving that the plants grow faster and healthier in mineralized water. Read detail story here.
Robotics Association of Nepal and Kathford International College
The pioneer of RoboKath, Mr. Sunoj Das Shrestha, graduated from Kathford International College and established Robotics Association of Nepal in 2010. Robotics Association of Nepal (popularly known as RAN) is a not-for-profit organization that provides outstanding platform for tech students and enthusiasts from all over Nepal, especially in the field of robotics and software development. RAN was established to promote, educate, explore, and compete in the field of robotics. RAN conducts robotics competitions and tech events every year. Yantra series is a popular tech event conducted by RAN, and is in its 6th edition aka Yantra 6.0.